Head Start values each parent/guardian as the most important person who can make a difference in his/her child’s life. Because of this, we want you to know your rights as a Head Start parent/guardian. You have the right:
To be welcomed into the classroom,
- To be informed regularly about your child’s progress in Head Start,
- To always be treated with respect and dignity,
- To be informed (through home visits, newsletters, parent meetings, etc.) about community resources concerned with health, education, and the improvement of family life,
- To take part in major decisions affecting the planning and operations of the program through Center Meetings and Policy Council,
- To be insured that your child’s records will be kept confidential and in a locked cabinet (no one other than Head Start staff who are responsible for your child and you, the child’s parent/guardian, may see your child’s records),
- To be asked to sign a release of information before any information regarding your child or your family is released to another agency (except in mandatory child abuse reporting).